Caramel Apple Crumble
We came home from vacation to a pile of apples I had forgotten we bought before we left. Their skin was getting wrinkly and I was wondering how we’d eat ~7 apples over the next day or so. That’s how this Caramel Apple Crumble recipe was born! Use up a million apples & get a little chubby doing it 😉
A crispy oat crumble over cinnamon baked apples in a caramel sauce. Perfect for fall. Perfect for dessert. Delicious anytime really.
Every time I make this it somehow ends up gone within two days. Photos don’t do it justice, I swear!
Makes 8 servings
Approx 20 min. prep, 40 min. in the oven
Caramel Apple Mixture:
- ~9 c. chopped apples (I prefer Jazz or Pink Lady)
- 2/3 c. white sugar (bone-char free)
- 1 tbsp + 3/4 c. flour
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 c. water
- 3/4 c. oats
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 c. melted vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- Wash and slice/chop apples into whatever shape you wish. I prefer bite-size pieces so I chopped mine pretty small
- Pour the chopped apples into a non-stick 9×13 in. pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together the white sugar, 1 tbsp of flour, and 1 tbsp of cinnamon. Sprinkle over the apples and mix together.
- Pour the 1/2 c. of water over the apples as evenly as possible.
- Mix together the 3/4 c. flour, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 3/4 c. oats, 3/4 c. brown sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Pour the melted butter over the oat mixture and stir to combine.
- Crumble the oat mixture over the apples.
- Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes or until the topping is crisp
Values shown are for 1/8 of recipe using exactly the ingredients listed.